Wednesday, March 14

Home (Guest Post)

This is from Max Andrew Dubinsky's blog, which I highly reccomend, especially for my brothers. www.makeitmad.com

"Home may be sweet home, or where you hang your hat, but it is not always your porpoise-colored bedroom walls or your DVD collection. Home is (as cliched as it gets) where your heart is.

My heart is in the streets. It beats for the people who are broken, defeated, and hopeless. It brings me life so that I may introduce life to others. Because like so many of you, I have the answer the man sleeping on the sidewalk is looking for. I know the truth the woman begging for change is seeking. I know where the comfort for the cancer patient resides, and where forgiveness for the post-abortive mother awaits.

This life isn’t about forcing our religion down someone’s throat, trying to figure out where dinosaurs fit into the Bible or finding the missing link. It’s not about coming to a decision on gay-marriage, or proving the existence of Hell. It’s not about church attendance or animal rights. This life isn’t about becoming a millionaire, our jobs, or marrying a supermodel. It’s not about debating the differences between Catholics, Mormons, and Christians, or why anyone let Snooki publish a book.

This life is about simply living. Not for ourselves. But for others.

I believe the one thing we all have in common is a desire to feel insignificant.

Not worthless.

But less.

Have you ever stood on a beach and stared out into the vastness of the ocean? I want to feel insignificant the way it feels to stand at the edge of the Grand Canyon. I want to say, “This thing is so much bigger than me.” I accepted the truth of the Gospel because I realized I was screwed if my life was the only thing to live for. I want to know there is something greater out there."

1 comment:

  1. This all flows together with a sermon I just listened to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_FHPnMpzW4

    ReplyDelete